Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The warm-up trip: New Hampshire

Sunday and Monday I spent visiting college friends in New Hampshire.  I got to practice my mooching skills on my friends Amanda and Gordie and their new son Willem.  One of the secrets to successful mooching is to bring a gift, so I baked a blueberry pie (warning to future mooch-victims - I will not always have access to an oven before visiting) and hit the road.  Amanda cooked an amazing dinner for a whole herd of visitors, including three children all under the age of nine months.  Here's a picture of Amanda, Gordie, Willem, Andrew, Jess, and Tyler, and their new onesies, courtesy of our college friends (mooch tip - when you have no gift of your own, try to be the delivery mechanism for someone else's gift). 
On Monday, Amanda and Gordie and I took Willem on his first hike.  He seemed to like it. At least, I think that's an expression of enthusiasm...


On the drive back to Massachusetts Tuesday morning it really hit me that I'm leaving New England.  I'll confess that I'm not a huge fan of the big city, but New Hampshire reminds me of everything I love about the Northeast.  Fall is in the air, and the small towns, open fields, and mountains feel like home.  I wish I could shrink our country, so that New Hampshire would be right next to North Carolina and Virginia, and why not throw in Colorado and the West Coast as well?  Then I wouldn't have to choose between living near only a few of my family and friends at any given time, and could have a mix of all the landscapes on hand.

1 comment:

  1. Emily!
    You are really doing it...blogging. It is so much fun to keep up with your doings. Relaxing by scraping paint... I want to know more about Horrells.
    We went out to lunch with Brad and Maddy and talked about how much you are being missed.
    This evening the vegetable pick-up trip. Would you like some turnips?

    ReplyDelete