Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Illinois, Iowa, and Nebraska Part 1: Farms

Rather than talk about the drive across the midwest in chronological order, I thought I'd break it up into themes.  After all, on long trips most of what is happening is thoughts running through the brain while scenery flashes by.  Makes for a boring story afterwards - "then I thought about silos for 20 miles, and wondered how the grain on the bottom doesn't get crushed..."

For a quick background, I drove across Illinois, Iowa and Nebraska on the "blue highways" (actually black and gray on my map) running between I-80 and I-90.  It took a little longer, but not really that much, considering all the roads are straight and the speed limit is 55 or 65. 

The first theme is farms.  I was expecting the huge, perfectly flat corn fields that I have seen before, driving across I-80.  While I did see that for about an hour in eastern Nebraska, most of what I saw was rolling hills with smaller farms (still huge by New England standards) and wooded valleys with clusters of farmhouses.  I got really excited about old barns, so have a bunch of pictures of them.  One advantage to the blue highways is the lack of traffic, so I could pull over as often as I wanted for a quick snapshot.  Here are some samples. 



I think the farmland that surprised me the most was western Illinois.  Near the Mississippi River I started hitting more valleys and it reminded me a lot of the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia.  I could see myself living in some of the medium -sized towns, like Elizabeth or Galena.  Here is some farmland near Elizabeth, Illinois: 


Now compare that with Iowa:

And then, more flat, Nebraska

But Nebraska has hills, too: 
It's mid September, so everywhere I go I see harvesting.  One radio report I heard said that the Nebraska corn harvest is two percent complete, which means there are a lot of fields of golden corn, and lots of work to be done in the next few weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Oh it makes me homesick. I love driving on the back roads, going up and down the hills looking at the fields. So lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, do you think in granular matter (with jagged surfaces) piles, pressure is a scalar directly proportional to the head above it? Or do the hoop stresses in the cylindrical boundaries support some of the matter above it?
    Nerdy enough?

    ReplyDelete