Sunday, September 26, 2010

Boulder Colorado Part 2: Mooching

Since I was staying with Erin for almost two weeks, I needed to make sure I did a proper job of mooching.  I guess Erin would be the final authority on the success of my mooching, but I think it went fairly well.  Here are a few of the techniques I used:

1. Repair broken things: I'm relatively handy, so whenever I saw something around the house that was broken and easy to fix, I pulled out my toolbox and did some repairs.  The toilet was running constantly (and Erin said that last month she had a high water bill for the first time ever) so I put in a new float/ball cock assembly.  Then I noticed that neither the tub nor the sink was draining well.  So one afternoon I went on a hair ball hunt and cleaned both of those out.  Now, it's not just about fixing broken things, it's also about advertising.  Erin didn't know the toilet was running, so might not have noticed a fixed toilet if I had not left the old parts near her bedroom door.  And with the shower, I did some prompting to encourage her to notice how quickly the water disappeared.  Finally, with the sink I used one of the oldest tricks in the book - I was still midway through putting the drain trap back together when she got home from work, and had the contents of the cabinet arranged in the hallway.  

2.  Appear helpful: I emptied the dishwasher a few times, and picked up some cereal and milk while I was at the store.  It's true that this doesn't make up for all the food I ate or the inconvenience of having me around, but I hope it helps! 

3.  Make yourself at home: I needed to do laundry, so I found a time when the washer was free and just went for it, with an announcement, "I'm going to do a load of laundry, is there anything I should toss in with it?"  But at the same time, I try NOT to do some of the things I do at my own house - that laundry was out of the dryer as soon as the buzzer rang, rather than waiting until the next day.  Same thing for my dirty breakfast dishes... 

4.  Have things to do, but be flexible: Like most people who haven't just quit their jobs and packed up all their belongings, Erin works during the week and has a lot of other commitments.  So I went hiking.  I asked for a few pointers and suggestions, and then tried to hit the ground running.  And if Erin had something cool to do that I could join in on, great!  Sign me up! 

5.  Most importantly, find a good moochee: I am the moocher, this week Erin has been the moochee.  And like all the people I have mooched from thus far, she has been fantastic!  Various moochees on this trip have fed me, taken me to shows and art museums, and introduced me to new friends.  Everyone has made me feel welcome, clearing time and space for me in their busy lives.  It's a moocher's dream! 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Em! Do you have a pipe wrench in your car with you? How do you have room for all that stuff? We're really looking forward to your visit - maybe I'll consult with you about some of the Physics demos I still want to build! See you in a couple of days!

    ReplyDelete