Thursday, November 18, 2010

Seattle Part 3: Excursion to Mt. Si

One sunny day I left Joe's apartment early and headed east on I-90 for a day hike up Mt. Si, one of the most hiked mountains in Washington.  It started out in a shady, damp forest full of ferns and mosses:


And then topped out on a rocky outcropping.  The trail stopped below the bare rock, and signs said to proceed with caution.  Thinking that didn't sound too bad, I proceeded.  Then fifteen minutes later, scrambling up the rock face with cold wind freezing my fingers, I changed my mind.  Unfortunately, at that point I realized that it is much harder to climb down a rocky outcrop than it is to go up it.  After a few tense moments and the use of some of the rock-climbing skills Joe had shown me the night before, I got back below treeline.  I snapped a quick photo as a hurried down out of the wind:


On the way down I stopped at one of the overlooks. Here are the mountains to the south:


A little more to the east, Mt. Rainier stands up above the normal sized mountains like a snow-covered giant.  I never made it to Rainier, but its presence is felt everywhere in the Seattle area:


Then on the way back down I started noticing mushrooms.  In this wet climate they grow everywhere!  Here's a mushroom medly for you, just a small sampling of what I saw hanging out on the forest floor:









Finally, for those of you who have read Blue Highways, I had an encounter with what I think is a banana slug:  


I'd count this day hike as a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment