Monday, November 1, 2010

Oregon: Eugene and Portland

From Crater Lake I drove north and west to Eugene.  Once I got away from the mountains the road was straight, fairly flat, and had a uniform wall of straight tall trees on both sides.  This is the Pacific Northwest of Paul Bunyan... 

In Eugene I stayed with my high school friend Emily and her husband Matt.  They gave me a tour of the city while Emily and I exchanged tidbits of "where are they now" information for our classmates and talked about our days as cross-country running buddies.  One of my sharpest memories from this time is running along a winding dirt road in baking North Carolina heat, chatting with Emily and Megan and Anna while smelling the super-sweet, grape smell of kudzu as the miles go by.  I'm not a gifted runner, but these friends made those daily practices into something I really enjoyed, and today the smell of kudzu means North Carolina to me.  Of course, I forgot to take any pictures of my visit, except for one quick snapshot of the University of Oregon Eugene campus.  My parents were students here for a short time in the 70s:


It seems like everything in town, and in the state of Oregon, has a green background and a big yellow "O" on it. 

From Eugene I finally hopped on the interstate and headed up to Seattle, with a stop for lunch in Portland's Chinatown.  On Emily's recommendation I visited Voodoo Donuts and got some crazy-looking creations. 


One of them is a maple-bacon donut!  Delicious! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily! I saw on your FB page that you have a blog...and you're right, those memories of running CC are some of my best from high school. Ah kudzu! I'll add you to my blog list so we can keep up!

    ReplyDelete